My life I Give, Henceforth to Live

I read an obituary in the paper today that made me smile. Whats with that? An obituary making someone smile?
It was for a 50 something year old man with Down Syndrome. The picture showed a cheery smile, a kind face.
It said he "enjoyed flopping his newspaper, drinking his Dr Pepper and going to worship. He enjoyed a very simple life and was a constant reminder to never take things for granted. He loved life and being with his family."
 It made me smile, and then it nearly made me cry for his family and friends. A family I've never met, friends who I don't know who they are. Yet somehow, by this short story, I had seen a glimpse of his life and what they all must be missing right now.
I wondered how many people would read his story and put it in the "successful people" category.
I wondered how many kids would read his story and say "I want to be like him, when I grow up."
I figured, not many.
Yet, I wondered how many people would be inspired by his story, touched by his smile, and moved by his testimony.
I figured, more than a few.
I wonder if we limit ourselves when we imagine that success is defined by popularity, indepenence, and A+'s.
I wonder if, when I die, people will remember whether or not I had a degree; or if instead they will remember whether or not I smiled a lot and how I treated other people. Did she talk about "me" or Jesus? And if she talked about Jesus, did she walk the talk?
I figure that though a lot of people have a lot of opinions as to what success might should look like, true success is actually very simple. Its being that person God created you to be. Its the person you already are, excelled to the limit.
I desire to succeed. But the only mold I want to fit in, is Christ's. I want to bear a quiet impact on the world and blow the limitations we've put on success at the same time. Taking a day at a time-- Lord use me.

 

3 Reflections:

Melinda said...

Wow. Just reading that almost made me cry. Such a sweet testimony that man had!

"Its the person you already are, excelled to the limit.
I desire to succeed. But the only mold I want to fit in, is Christ's."

Definitely my prayer to, Kaylene.

Love you!

Andy said...

I wonder if we limit ourselves when we imagine that success is defined by popularity, indepenence, and A+'s.
I wonder if, when I die, people will remember whether or not I had a degree; or if instead they will remember whether or not I smiled a lot and how I treated other people.


Uhuh, couldn't put it any better. Life's so transient really, it's crucial but seemlingly impossible to prioritise faithfully. Would drive a person down if they didn't undertstand God's sovereignty :)

Katie said...

I really liked reading your thoughts on this, Kaylene!

One of the ministries my family have been involved with for the past 10 years is a music therapy group for the disabled. I have always loved working with them! The people that we work with have such a simplicity about them that is refreshing. They joy in the tiniest details of life, and don't worry about the big things.

I was talking to my dad about them the other day and I told him, "You know, I wonder if when we get to heaven they will be 'normal.'" I almost don't want them to be. There is such a beauty in the simplicity. I almost wonder--will we be made like them in heaven?! After all, what is "perfection" really? Isn't it being like Christ?




The Face


view Kaylene's profile
When I am faithless, He is faithful.
When mine fail, His plans prevail.
When I fail, His mercy endures.
Without Him, I am nothing.


Participants:
Abbie
Alicia
Andy
Anna -Completed
Annsley
Amy
Angela -Completed
Carri
Cassie
Christin
Christal
Crystal
Eden -Completed
Esther
Hannah
Kate
Laura -Completed
Lauren
Leah -Completed
Maddi
Melinda - Completed
Renate
Sara R
Sarah H -Completed
Sarah K -Completed
Shannon
Whitney

Let's Pray

Noted Songs

Beating Hearts

It Really Works

Search & Win

Blogging Topics