The Heart of God is For Yours

Although I've always considered the 'Ten Commandments' general rules to live by, the Old Testament used to seem like an exception to "God is the same today, as He was yesterday". There was somewhat of disconnect, in my mind, between the Christ who called for surrender of our lives and the God who called for sacrifice of animals. And yet, when put in that way, I can see [now] that the common denominator is m.y. h.e.a.r.t. God wants our hearts. Sacrifice, surrender... they speak of the same attitude.
I think the first time it really clicked for me was when I was reading in Exodus a couple of years ago. 

This is the thing which the LORD commanded, saying, Take ye from among you an offering unto the LORD: whosoever is of a willing heart, let him bring it, an offering of the LORD..." Ex. 35:3-5

Lip Service
By the time Christ came to earth and even before, there was also a big disconnect in the Jews' minds, which led to a huge disconnect between their hearts and the very heart of God. The god the Jews worshiped was not the same God who had commanded them those years ago "take ye from among you an offering unto the Lord: whosoever is of a willing heart..." And regardless of the countless times God had told them "I the Lord do sanctify them." "I am the Lord which hallow you..." They treated and lived the law, as if it was the law, that sanctified them. Jesus said that Isaiah was right when he wrote "This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoreth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me..."
The consequence? They missed knowing Jesus.
Heart Service
Recognize the potential for disconnect and do all you can to avoid it. Namely, let your motivation in keeping God's commandments be pure. Choose you this day, sweet communion or fatal bondage.  Surrender because you can't love with out Him. Obey because you love Him (because you love Him you will obey Him.) Sacrifice, because He is Lord and worthy of every heart-felt offering.
  
Create in me a clean heart, O God;
and renew a right spirit within me...
Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; 
and uphold me with thy free spirit...
For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it:
thou delightest not in burnt offering.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: 
a broken and a contrite heart, 
O God, thou wilt not despise...
Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness
with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: 
then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar. 
 [excerpts of Psalm 51]


 

5 Reflections:

LeAnna said...

Loved this. For the past few years my good friend has flown in and we've driven to the desert of New Mexico (to visit another friend) and each year we always do a little mini Bible study on the way there and back (8 hours gives you plenty of time to discuss things in depth!). The year before last we studied the old testament sacrifices, and it was SO enlightening to parallel with the new covenant. Amazing, really. Everything from the sin offering, to the grain offering to what kind of animals were required for the "lesser" and "greater" sins. So amazing to know that since we have Jesus, all God had desire of is our heart. Great thoughts!

Melinda said...

Amen! Wonderful thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Love this. Love your heart for Him!

KallyLyn said...

From what I have read on your blog, you may be beginning to realize this, Kaylene; that Yeshua self-professed came to bring *fullness* to the OT. (Matthew 5:17ish) He came to give us the full meaning of the sacrifices and instructions that the Father gives us in the Torah.
Many Christians think that He did away with all of that, but He didn't. He simply *brought it to completeness*. Ful-fill is better translated filled-full.
An example that my mom often uses is that of a newly-manufactured car. Once it is built, filled with gas, and rolled off the lot, does that mean it is no longer needed, and done away with? No, it means that it *is now completely usable* for the buyer.
The Covenant that the Father has made with mankind since the beginning is not null and void now that "Jesus has come". No, but it now has its fullest meaning- its greatest...fulfillment.
Like you said, sort of, when you line up the Ultimate Salvation of Yeshua with the Representational Sacrifices in the Torah, there is so much more to get out of it- and drawing us closer to the Father- than when we view it as just a storybook or something in the Annals of History.

This was not a correction, or whatever, so please don't take it as such! I am only sharing something that has excited me in my studies, as you did. I just had to share with you, as someone who seems to be coming to the same conclusion- or not! :-)

Blessings!
KallyLyn

Kaylene Elise said...

Leanna, The cross-country Bible study sounds like something I would LOVE. And hey did you know I live on the way to New Mexico? :)

Thanks Melinda and Kendra.
(Kendra, your profile pic is so sweet)

Kallylyn, thanks for sharing your thoughts! I think I understand where you're coming from. And yes, in many ways over the last couple of years, the Lord has been revealing to me how vital the OT is. I have never been one to throw it out claiming it only to be the "Jew's Faith". But I do believe that because of Christ's death and resurrection and the new covenant being in place, there are some big changes. (For example, we no longer offer burnt offering.)
Thanks again for your comment!




The Face


view Kaylene's profile
When I am faithless, He is faithful.
When mine fail, His plans prevail.
When I fail, His mercy endures.
Without Him, I am nothing.


Participants:
Abbie
Alicia
Andy
Anna -Completed
Annsley
Amy
Angela -Completed
Carri
Cassie
Christin
Christal
Crystal
Eden -Completed
Esther
Hannah
Kate
Laura -Completed
Lauren
Leah -Completed
Maddi
Melinda - Completed
Renate
Sara R
Sarah H -Completed
Sarah K -Completed
Shannon
Whitney

Let's Pray

Noted Songs

Beating Hearts

It Really Works

Search & Win

Blogging Topics