Choosing a Cause

I was reading in the Psalms this morning and began to think about the belief system that I referred to in this post. I had written,

"Many people believe in what they believe in, because they trust with a mere 'cause and effect' sort of mentality. “I tried it. It worked. It must be true.” Can you see how dangerous this must be, when a person who thinks this way, sees a medicine doctor heal someone in the jungles of Africa?"
I cautioned, "Christians must beware of validating their faith merely by experience." By saying that I didn't mean to downplay sharing personal testimony as a way of witnessing to the lost. Personally, I believe that is one of the most powerful tools the Holy Spirit uses to cut to the heart of the sinner.

I got to thinking though. If cause and effect is a part of your testimony like it is mine, then what's the difference? How can it bear weight when they may be able to counter with their own experience of cause and effect... that may or may not include God?

My realization this morning may not be as relevant to you as it was to me, as in some ways its the obvious answer. But as I considered these things, my heart was filled to the brim with gratitude for the hope I have in the Lord. The difference is the effect. What the world is looking for is different than what an individual whose heart is seeking after God, desires or receives. The world on the other hand generally doesn't care what or who the cause is, as long as they get the desired [fleshly] effect.

If God heals or blesses in any capacity it is for his purposes not for furthering our human endeavors. What the world cannot understand, but through the revelation of the Holy Spirit, is that the greatest privilege is serving the Lord and walking in accordance to his purposes. Isn't that our hope?! Wow, that excites me!
.Psalm 40.
I waited patiently for the Lord and he inclined unto me...Blessed is the man that maketh the Lord his trust... Many, O Lord my God are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward. They cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered. [bits&pieces]
.Psalm 44.
Thou makest us a byword among the heathen, a shaking of the head among the people... All this is come upon us; yet have we not forgotten thee...Our heart is not turned back, neither have our steps declined from thy way... If we have forgotten the name of our God, or stretched out our hands to a strange god; shall not God search this out? for he knoweth the secrets of the heart. Yea, for thy sake are we killed all the day long. [bits&pieces]

 

1 Reflections:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts Kaylene....
Christin




The Face


view Kaylene's profile
When I am faithless, He is faithful.
When mine fail, His plans prevail.
When I fail, His mercy endures.
Without Him, I am nothing.


Participants:
Abbie
Alicia
Andy
Anna -Completed
Annsley
Amy
Angela -Completed
Carri
Cassie
Christin
Christal
Crystal
Eden -Completed
Esther
Hannah
Kate
Laura -Completed
Lauren
Leah -Completed
Maddi
Melinda - Completed
Renate
Sara R
Sarah H -Completed
Sarah K -Completed
Shannon
Whitney

Let's Pray

Noted Songs

Beating Hearts

It Really Works

Search & Win

Blogging Topics