Catching Up . 4 .

Something I was reminded of while going through Kings and Chronicles is that heaven is so not the point. King after king is named and their deeds recorded. Good kings, bad kings. A few lukewarm kings. But at the end of their lives all that mattered was whether or not they served God in the time they'd been given. The kings either "did what was right in the sight of the Lord." or "did evil in the sight of the Lord." We're never told whether or not their deeds or decisions to follow God landed them in heaven or not.
I feel like I could preach a sermon [gasp!] about how I believe the Gospel is being taught from the wrong perspective these days. It seems like we make whats important to us the emphasis, as though it were what is important to God.  
Living forever. Seeing loved ones again. Streets of Gold.  
We talk about being saved from Hell. We take about being separated from God forever. Both are true. But I've been thinking lately how its more important to realize, that Christ died and rose again to save me from myself. 'Myself' being that sin infested creature that can only be truly changed with a transformation starting from the inside, moving outward. My heart sometimes even deceives my mind. Without the Lord it is "desperately wicked", void of discerning truth and loving sincerely. Heaven is a mere stage in that transformation that must take place, but the transformation must begin now. I think the kings of the old testament are good reminders of that. 
Chapters read since I last posted: 44

 

5 Reflections:

Sarah Holman said...

You are so right! What a wonderful post. I was wondering, what are you going to do to celebrate the end of the challenge?

Anglican Mama said...

Oh my girl, you're hitting on the head some things I've been feeling recently. It's not that the traditional "gospel" isn't true, but like you shared, the perspective feels off from what I receive from the Word.

Something that popped out to me in Galatians: "Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age ..."
Not from hell, from the trappings of the world? From ourselves, and the "sin that so easily entangles us" (Hebrews 12)? :) It made me think.

Muthering Heights said...

Excellent post!!! You make a great point here!

Cole Franke said...

Ive been learning these same things lately. great post! :) I'm following.
nicole visiting from
http://lettersfromcoco.blogspot.com/

Kaylene Elise said...

Sarah- I dunno! Any ideas??

Welcome Cole!!




The Face


view Kaylene's profile
When I am faithless, He is faithful.
When mine fail, His plans prevail.
When I fail, His mercy endures.
Without Him, I am nothing.


Participants:
Abbie
Alicia
Andy
Anna -Completed
Annsley
Amy
Angela -Completed
Carri
Cassie
Christin
Christal
Crystal
Eden -Completed
Esther
Hannah
Kate
Laura -Completed
Lauren
Leah -Completed
Maddi
Melinda - Completed
Renate
Sara R
Sarah H -Completed
Sarah K -Completed
Shannon
Whitney

Let's Pray

Noted Songs

Beating Hearts

It Really Works

Search & Win

Blogging Topics