A Lesson From Lewis

I pulled this from the archives of my old blog. I've been thinking about this lately.

“...Take the case of a sour old maid, who is a Christian, but cantankerous. On the other hand, take some pleasant and popular fellow, but who has never been to church. Who knows how much more cantankerous the old maid might be if she were not a Christian, and how much more likeable the nice fellow might be if he were a Christian? you can’t judge Christianity simply by comparing the product in those two people; you would need to know what kind of raw material Christ was working on in both cases.” --C.S Lewis

I think its important to remember that all believers are being conformed into Christ's image, and so we shouldn't make excuses for sin in our lives or anyone else's. But there's a tremendous amount of gratitude I feel when I give a little understanding and longsuffering towards my brother or sister in the Lord. May the Lord give me grace to manifest forbearance towards others. "For the love of Christ constraineth us..."

 

3 Reflections:

Katie said...

Wow, that quote is really thought provoking. I never thought about it like that before. Thanks for posting that!

Anonymous said...

Great quote Kaylene. I think I remember it from when you posted it a while ago. It is thought provoking....

Christin

Micah Harris said...

Hmmmm . . . maybe I'm just defending my crankiness but I'm not sure I like him conflating likability and virtue.




The Face


view Kaylene's profile
When I am faithless, He is faithful.
When mine fail, His plans prevail.
When I fail, His mercy endures.
Without Him, I am nothing.


Participants:
Abbie
Alicia
Andy
Anna -Completed
Annsley
Amy
Angela -Completed
Carri
Cassie
Christin
Christal
Crystal
Eden -Completed
Esther
Hannah
Kate
Laura -Completed
Lauren
Leah -Completed
Maddi
Melinda - Completed
Renate
Sara R
Sarah H -Completed
Sarah K -Completed
Shannon
Whitney

Let's Pray

Noted Songs

Beating Hearts

It Really Works

Search & Win

Blogging Topics