Jesus and the Olympic Opening Ceremony

As I watched the faces of the athletes from the individual countries, I, along with the rest of the watching world, really got caught up in the moment. Can you imagine the privilege of walking beneath your country's flag, and personally representing the incredible initiative and hard work that it took to get there?
Now me--I don't really know how to say this-- but I'm an 'international' sort of person. I haven't traveled extensively, but I've never heard of a country I didn't want to personally meet. I find incredible beauty in different cultures and races. It was magnificent to see so many represented, in one place, for one purpose. Even if that purpose was just sports
I sat there watching and thinking.
Which of those smiling faces find their true satisfaction and joy, in Jesus? So many people, so many lost.
How amazing would it be, if they were gathering in the name of Jesus, instead of sports?
And then I started getting energized. I felt like singing at the top of my lungs "WHAT A DAY THAT WILL BE!"
Because, believe it or not, there is going to be a day like that.
Think about the the wonder (words fail me) of the privilege of being a  part of  the saints from every nation, someday marching under the banner of Christ and glorifying our Beloved and relishing His victory.
I just can't stop thinking about it.
What a day that will be. I can not wait.
At the sign of triumph Satan's host doth flee;
on then, Christian soldiers, on to victory!
Hell's foundations quiver at the shout of praise;
brothers, lift your voices, loud your anthems raise.
Like a mighty army moves the church of God;
brothers, we are treading where the saints have trod.
We are not divided, all one body we,
one in hope and doctrine, one in charity.

 

5 Reflections:

Anglican Mama said...

Mm, in light of my last post, I loved this. We are not divided. All one body, we.
The verse you shared was amazing...the SIMPLICITY, yes! The simplicity of Christ isn't enough for us, we have to complicate everything.
Loved your observations of the Olympics, wow. We can get so full of awe and inspiration during earthly sport events. I can't imagine the awe and thrill and pride that will push us during something eternal. I loved the thoughts, thanks for sharing/provoking them!

Abbie said...

What a thought! Such a wonderful thing to look forward to!

I know what you mean about being an "international" type of person. I'm the same way! Haven't traveled extensively, but countries and cultures are inspiring to me.

Mark said...

great thoughts. as I read your title and first paragraph I thought you were going somewhere else with it... That just as those athletes represent each country and perform their very best after training for years and years, we represent Christ while we are on earth and should be "running the race with endurance". =) And the greatest thing about our race, is that there is no one gold medal. There is Jesus at the finish line saying "well done my good and faithful servant". Wow. I'm ready to run.

Anonymous said...

"How amazing would it be, if they were gathering in the name of Jesus, instead of sports?"

I think about this all the time!!

Anonymous said...

These are some of my exact thoughts when I watch these kind of ceremonies. That day will be amazing!!!!
Christin




The Face


view Kaylene's profile
When I am faithless, He is faithful.
When mine fail, His plans prevail.
When I fail, His mercy endures.
Without Him, I am nothing.


Participants:
Abbie
Alicia
Andy
Anna -Completed
Annsley
Amy
Angela -Completed
Carri
Cassie
Christin
Christal
Crystal
Eden -Completed
Esther
Hannah
Kate
Laura -Completed
Lauren
Leah -Completed
Maddi
Melinda - Completed
Renate
Sara R
Sarah H -Completed
Sarah K -Completed
Shannon
Whitney

Let's Pray

Noted Songs

Beating Hearts

It Really Works

Search & Win

Blogging Topics